Tuesday, June 20, 2006

And so it ends

It was a great run, it was hugely exciting. I wish we had won something. I wish we had made it to the second round and challenged Germany. But we didn't. It was the first time Trinidad and Tobago made it to the World Cup. I wish I had been there, I wish I had seen some of the games in real.

It was great to see them play at the World Cup. It was great to see Latas play. There's a beauty in his play, skill and grace. "The Little Magician" - less than two months short of his 38th birthday. What would it have been like if we had made it to Italy in 1990. How would things have been different if we would have had a coach like Beenhakker in 1989? In a real sense I believe that the disenchantment that began after the USA match in 1989 was the first stones slipping down the mountain that ended as the avalanche that was the July 1990 coup attempt.

Would the world have been different if we had made it to the 1990 World Cup? Would I have been different? It's unknowable.

No comments: